Bacon wrapped chicken with herbs
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces, wings reserved for other use such as stock or soup and skin removed from the rest
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fresh chili pepper, such as Fresno chili pepper, finely chopped
- About 2 tablespoons rosemary, very finely chopped
- About 2 tablespoons thyme, finely chopped
- Sea salt and coarsely ground pepper
- About 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 6 fresh bay leaves
- 6 thin slices good-quality bacon
Place the chicken in a dish with the garlic, chili pepper, rosemary and thyme. Season lightly with sea salt and more heavily with pepper. Drizzle EVOO over the chicken, then toss evenly to coat the chicken pieces with herbs and garlic. Use right away or marinate up to overnight.
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F. Arrange a wire cooling rack over a baking sheet.
Place a bay leaf on top of each piece of chicken, using smaller leaves for the legs. Wrap a bacon slice around each piece of chicken so that each piece is partially exposed and the bay leaves peek out from under the bacon.
Arrange the chicken on the rack. Bake for 45 minutes, until the bacon is crisp and the chicken is cooked through.
Serve with grilled asparagus or grilled corn and tomato and red onion salad alongside.