Cheese Steak Panini
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil, Plus Extra To Lightly Oil The Panini Pan
- 2 whole Medium Onions, Sliced Thin
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces, weight Grilled Steak Or Chicken, Sliced Thin
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 4 slices Good Quality Bread, Such As Tuscan Garlic
- 3 ounces, weight Fontina Cheese, Sliced (or More If Desired)
Heat a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add the butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the sliced onions and cook slowly until caramel-colored. Salt to taste. Spoon caramelized onions into a small dish and set aside. Add the sliced steak to the skillet and saute to heat through.
To assemble the panini, spread mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread. Divide the onions, meat and cheese between the two sandwiches. Top with remaining bread. Heat a panini press or pan on medium-low and lightly grease with olive oil. Cook panini until bread is lightly browned and cheese is melted. Slice in half and serve immediately.