Dairy Free Stuffing
- 2 loaves dry whole grain bread, cut into 1” cubes
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped onion
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 cups turkey broth, chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 ½ t. rubbed sage
- 1 t. dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 T. dairy-free soy margarine, cut into small pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Lightly oil a 9” x 13” casserole dish or two shallow gratin dishes. Place the cubed bread into a medium-sized mixing bowl and set aside.
2. In a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil, adding the onion, celery and garlic once hot. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent and fragrant. Remove from heat.
3. Mix the eggs, broth and seasonings into the bread cubes until the mixture is moist, adding additional broth or water if necessary. (Note: mixture should not be mushy.) Add the onion mixture, stirring until the vegetables are evenly distributed.
4. Press the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Dot the top with the pieces of soy margarine. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the foil and bake for 30 to 40 minutes more, or until mixture is browned. Serve warm.