- 5 cups Canola Oil, As Needed For Frying
- ½ cups SO Delicious Coconut Milk, Or Preferred Milk Alternative
- ½ teaspoons Distilled White Vinegar
- ½ cups Cornmeal
- ½ cups Cornstarch Or Arrowroot Flour
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- ¼ teaspoons Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoons Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoons Cayenne Pepper, Optinal
- ½ cups Blanched Almond Flour Or Rice Flour
- 2 pounds Fresh Okra, Sliced About 1 Inch Thick
1. Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat (enough to cover okra).
2. In a large bowl, mix together the milk and vinegar. Set aside.
3. In another large bowl, mix together the cornstarch, almond flour, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and cornmeal.
4. Dip okra in the homemade buttermilk mixture and toss to coat.
5. Now dredge the okra in the cornmeal-flour mixture. Toss to coat.
6. Check the temperature of the oil. Throw a piece of okra in the oil and it should immediately bubble and sizzle but not go crazy and start popping everywhere. Adjust temperature accordingly.
7. Carefully add okra to the oil and cook until dark golden brown. Do not overcrowd the okra; it may be necessary to fry in batches.
8. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve immediately.