Homemade rolls and cinnamon rolls
1 cup of sugar
4 cups of milk
1cup of Chrisco
2 Pkgs yeast
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
8 cups of flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups milk
1/2 cup Crisco
1 pkg yeast
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups of flour
1. Mix sugar, Crisco and milk in a sauce pan until it comes to a boil.
2. Remove from heat, cool to lukewarm(use a candy thermometer and cool to temperature on yeast pkg). To cool you can put pan in sink with shallow ice water.
3. Add yeast when temperature is reached.
4. Add half of flour(4 cups for full or 2 cups for half).
5. Mix until combined, let set 2 hrs on counter.
6. Add remaining flour, baking powder, soda & salt. Mix well until all combined.
7. Knead on floured surface, just enough flour to be able to handle the dough, its ok.if dough is a little sticky, just flour your hands a little. Don’t add too much flour or your rolls will be heavy.
8. Form dough into rolls and place in a greased pan.
9. Let rise until doubled; about an hour in a warm kitchen.
10. Bake at 375 until golden brown.
Cinnamon roll option.
Divide dough in half if making full. Roll dough out until about 1/4 in thick and into a rectangle, spread butter to cover all, maybe 2-3 tbsp, mix together 3/4 cup of sugar and 3-4 T of cinnamon sprinkle on dough. Roll up on short side of dough, like a jelly roll. Use a string to cut rolls, about 1 inch or a little less thick. Place string under roll, cross and pull and it slices it right off, place in pan, bake same as above.
1/2 stick of butter
2 cups of powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3-4 T milk
Melt butter then combine remaining ingredients, if not thin enough to pour add a little milk