- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken pieces with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Dredge in 3/4 cup flour, place in the skillet, and brown on all sides. Set chicken aside, and drain skillet, reserving about 1 tablespoon butter.
- Reduce skillet heat to medium-low, and stir in onions, celery, garlic, and carrots. Cook 5 minutes, until tender. Stir in the flour, and cook 5 minutes more. Pour in the chicken broth, season with cayenne pepper, and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low.
- Return chicken to the skillet, cover, and continue cooking 30 minutes, until chicken juices run clear and gravy has thickened.