- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Make cakes: Sift flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking soda and salt together into a bowl. Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl of an electric mixer at high speed until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add egg and beat at medium speed until fully incorporated. Change mixer speed to low and add dry ingredients, alternating with milk, mixing until just blended.
- Drop batter 1/2 Tbsp. at a time and about 2 inches apart onto each sheet to make 18 cakes per baking sheet. Bake for 7 minutes, until mini cakes are springy to touch. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes, and then transfer to racks to cool completely. Change parchment paper and repeat to make 72 cakes.
- Match cakes in pairs so tops and bottoms are similar in shape. Spread bottoms with cream filling and cover with top.
- For Cream Filling, combine 1 stick of unsalted butter and 1 2/3 cups confectioners’ sugar in a bowl and beat at low speed until blended. Then beat at high speed until mixture is fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract and 2 cups marshmallow cream; mix at low speed until blended well. (Makes 2 1/3 cups)